Sound Tigers Rally to Beat Pirates in a Shootout

01/24/2014 9:49 PM -

Box Score: Click Here
Game Photos: Click Here

Lewiston, ME— In a wild contest at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers rallied to beat the Portland Pirates 4-3 in a shootout. Parker Milner registered 31 saves in victory for the Sound Tigers, while Mark Visentin stopped 32 shots in the loss for Portland.

Portland got on the board first just 2:57 into the game. After Marc Cantin headed off hooking, Brandon Gormley gave the Pirates the lead. Gormley’s 4th goal of the year was a one-timer that beat Milner on his low blocker side. Assists on the goal went to Andy Miele, and Tobias Rieder. The score remained the same for the rest of the 1st period and heading into the first intermission, 1-0 Portland.

Bridgeport knotted things up when Pierre-March Bouchard sniped a shot past Visentin’s glove side early on in the 2nd. The goal came at 4:38 of the period, while the Sound Tigers were on the power-play. Assists were credited to Aaron Ness and Ryan Strome.

Bridgeport would take the lead a couple minutes later when former University of Maine defenseman Mike Cornell blasted a one-timer past Visentin. The goal came while the teams were skating 4 on 4, and on the play all 4 Sound Tigers managed to touch the puck before Cornell beat Visentin.

A few minutes after Bridgeport took the lead, the Pirates knotted things back up again. While once again on the power-play, Gormley blasted another one-timer past Milner. Assists on the goal went to Miele and Daine Todd.

The Pirates turned up the pressure late in the 2nd, and were able to regain the lead with 11 seconds to go in the period. Once again on power-play, Miele this time fed Connor Murphy with a pass. Murphy ripped a one-timer towards the net, and Rieder got just enough of a tip on the puck to help it past Milner. The goal was Rieder’s 13th of the year, and the teams went into the second intermission with the Pirates on top 3-2.

The 3rd period began with great back and forth action, before Bridgeport started turning up the pressure on Visentin. With 3:35 to go in the game, the Sound Tigers thought they had tied things up once again, but the goal was waved off. After a long review, the call was confirmed, no goal due to incidental contact with the goaltender.

Bridgeport continued to pour shots on net, and were able to finally break through with just under 20 seconds to go in the game. With Milner pulled and the extra attacker on the ice, Strome received a pass and circled towards the high slot. Once in the high slot, he released a quick snapshot on net, which managed to find its way through the crowd and into the back of the cage. Knotted at 3-3, the time ran out and the teams headed to overtime.

In the overtime period, neither team produced any high quality scoring chances. Milner stopped the one shot he faced, while Visentin stood tall to the one shot he faced as well.

The Pirates lead off in the shootout and had the initial lead when Hextall scored in the 2nd round, but Milner wasn’t beat again, and Bridgeport got shootout goals from Bouchard and Alan Quine to lead them to the victory.

With the win Bridgeport improves to 16-22-1-4, while Portland falls to 15-16-1-7. The Pirates return to action tomorrow night on the road, when they take on the Manchester Monarchs. The matchup is game 6 in the 2013-2014 VIP Cup Series, and Manchester currently hold a 3-2 lead in the series. Tomorrow’s game can be heard on the Pirates flagship stations WPEI 95.5/95.9 FM as well as WEZR AM 1240 in the Lewiston/Auburn area and WTME AM 780/1450 in Oxford County. The game can also be heard online at portlandpirates.com by clicking “Listen Live” and can be seen live on AHL at ahllive.com. The pregame show starts at 6:40 with Jeff Mannix. Follow all the action on the Pirates official Facebook page and Twitter account (@PortlandPirates) with the hashtag #PiratesAway.


Search Archive »

Browse by Year »